Light Emitting Diode bulbs, (LED bulbs) have been hailed as the light bulb that combines the very latest in energy efficiency with modern technology. The LED light bulb market is predicted to grow by more than twelve-fold over the next decade, at the beginning of 2014 in America it weighed in at $2 billion and is set to grow to $25 billion by 2023, a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of 25%.

- Energy Efficient

LED light bulbs utilise 80-90% of energy as light, whereas the inefficient incandescent light bulbs only convert 20% of the total electric current into light, the other 80% is used to produce heat, ensuring that it has fallen out of favour with the financially and economically concerned. Following a switch to LED light bulbs you will notice an immediate decrease in your electricity bills because LED's consume significantly less energy, and therefore do not emit as much heat. If you switch to LED light bulbs, the comparisons to other types of light bulb are as follows:

• save up to 85% of the electricity used by incandescent light bulbs
• save up to 50% of the energy of CFL (compact fluorescent bulbs)
• save up to 20-30% of the energy used by fluorescent tube lighting

 


- Environmentally Friendly

All bulbs should be recycled rather than disposed of as general waste. However, particular attention should be paid to the disposal of fluorescent tube light bulbs because they contain hazardous materials such as mercury, which may settle in water bodies and affect water quality. It is therefore imperative that fluorescent light bulbs are not disposed of in land disposal sites. LED's, however, do not contain these hazardous materials, thus meaning that they pose less of a threat to the environment. In an age where both home owners and organisations are becoming increasingly aware of their carbon footprint and environmental responsibility, LED lighting is an appealing alternative.

 


- Reduced Maintenance Costs

LED light bulbs last significantly longer than traditional bulbs. A typical LED light bulb has a guaranteed projected lifespan of 50,000 hours; this means that the constant replacement costs of traditional bulbs far outweigh the initial investment and installation of good quality LED light equivalents. The lengthy lifespan of the LED bulbs mean that maintenance costs are significantly reduced too. A comparison with the mere 10,000 hours lifespan of the CFL, and an even shorter 1,200 lifespan of the inflorescent light bulb, the LED bulb is an obvious choice.

As LED light bulbs age, they don't just burn out, they grow dimmer. Your standard LED light bulb will burn for 50,000 hours with at least 70% of the brightness it had when it was brand new. On average, they last upwards of twenty years, meaning that you will spend (waste) far less time changing the bulbs. Think of the LED light bulb as an investment, much alike the instalment of insulation in homes and buildings.

 

Top